Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mom's 60th Birthday - Nov 2, 2008

This is Mom's best picture for her bday. Because we surprised her she didn't have time to plan ahead & get her hair cut before we came. So she had it done the day after we left. Doesn't she look beautiful? She looks great for 60! Happy Bday Mom!
So my Mom turned 60 & we kids surprised her by showing up at her home on Halloween.
I want to be sure & post these to my blog so when I print all this for our family journal I will have a record of this. Mom's candles are in a pan of Apple Crisp. Yummy! Mom has never liked birthday cakes. Always something other than cake to celebrate her bday.


On her actual bday, our last day together that weekend, we took individual pictures with our bday Mom. It's been a long time since I've had a picture taken with my beautiful mother.


We went to this wonderful restaurant called Salty's at Redondo beach in Des Moines, WA. I surfed the internet & talked to Wenatchee people looking for recommendations. This was a keeper for sure. Would love to go there again. We wanted a seafood restaurant for Mom as she loves it. She can eat anything seafood (clams, oysters, shrimp, lobster). You name it she likes it. She said she really liked Saltys. We all had the same style three course meal. Some of us had steak and the others Salmon. We all ate way too much food but it was delicious. The Coconut Tiger Prawns the others had for appetizers looked really interesting. They said they were good.

When we first got to Saltys we went outside to take this picture. It was raining as we drove there. The clouds were black behind us & we thought this might be our only chance for an outside picture. It worked out perfectly. The rain stopped while we took the picture. I love this picture. If you could see the original the sky is amazing. But what's really amazing is how wonderful my family is. I'm so happy we could get together again & celebrate Mom's bday. Don't I have the most beautiful family?


This was the gift we presented to Mom while we were out to dinner. A book about our Mom. We each contributed photos of us individually with our Mom. We also wrote about memories of her. We each have our own page in the book. She loved it. It made her cry. Mom never cries so we thought it would be ok to give it to her at the restaurant. Turns out Ryan was right. He told us not to do it then, but us girls vetoed his decision and we did it anyway. In the end it all worked out fine. Mom had to wait until she got back home before she could really read it. We kids had a great time putting together our photos and memories. It was a great experience. Now this book will become part of her legacy. She was gracious enough to buy us kids copies of the book so we could have one too. The grandkids loved reading about their Ma-Kay & their parents memories of growing up with her. It will mean even more the older they get.


You can see that we have our desserts in front of us on the table. Dessert was fantastic. Some of us had this cake/mousse/thing with raspberry sauce & a couple of us had creme brulee. The later was incredible, the best I've ever had. A great finish to a fantastic meal.



Mom's dessert. Not a great picture of Mom. Doesn't do her justice. During dessert she had lots of pictures being taken including one from the restaurant. They were real great.

One of the many things we did during the quick weekend together was play Uno. I haven't played a game with my siblings since we were little. So it'd been about 20+ yrs. The funny thing about this picture is Ryan having to consult the game rules. Everyone but me plays card games a lot with their families & they all play a little differently based on the ages of their children. So since we are adults we really had to play by the "real" rules of the game. It was hilarious. You had to be there. Fun times. Ryan also tried to teach us how to play "Hearts". I still don't get it. I even went online recently to play online & see if I could get a better handle on it. Still don't get it! I'm the oldest sibling & the slowest when it comes to card games. Oh well.


We showed up on Mom's doorstep, rang the doorbell & said "trick or treat" in really weird voices. We said it over and over and over again. We knew if we said anything else she'd know it was us. I was laughing so hard under my sheet I didn't say anything. Ryan was saying enough for all of us. I thought the "Ghost of 1973" sign would give it away. But Mom was so surprised to even have trick or treaters that she claims she didn't see the sign. It's hard to explain her reaction. She left us all standing outside while she went to get some candy. Then we pushed Alysa inside & followed her in. That kind of freaked her out. The reason we did that is because JJ told us that's what kids do in Panguitch. If you leave your door open they just come in and sit down. Isn't that funny. We're not real sure Mom was surprised? She said she was??? Mother's intuition & Staci having not called Mom for her daily dose of motherly advice we think gave it away. We'll never know for sure. That's ok. We wanted to surprise her, we think we did & we'll leave it that way.

After we took the sheets off & exchanged hugs we put our sheets back on to pose for pictures. Mom with her five silly ghosts.

Alysa & JJ in the car next to Ryan, the ghost. We had a great car ride from SeaTac to Lacey. Fun times!


Staci was filming how silly we were in the car. I was driving. Ryan was the only one in his costume, at this point. We were laughing & Ryan was making silly jestures to cars passing us. It was Halloween after all so not that strange to have a ghost in our car. Staci how did the film turn out? We knew there were recording problems, but...?
We probably had more fun driving from the store there in Lacey to Mom & Dad's front door than we should have. I should have been pulled over for my driving. I went through the gate at Mom & Dad's at about 50 mph. I was afraid the gate was gonna close. Too funny for those of us in the car. These are great memories! We are so blessed to get a long so well & have so much fun when we are together.

4 comments:

Staci Rocha said...

The film turned out great! When we all started walking in the house you can hear her say in the background "Did I invite you in?"
We will all have to watch it when we get together again!

I am so glad we were all able to make that trip! Special memories :)

Alysa said...

I'm glad you finally posted about this "event". I love your comments about each picture. All similar, but different. We do have the best family ever. So what's next?

Courtney said...

It's fun to hear the different versions for those of us who weren't there to witness. Thanks for elaborating more than Ryan did.

MaKey and Poppa said...

I was totally shocked! I was expecting Whitney & Austin & Parents and then when there were these five tall standing adult like ghosts standing on my front porch & I don't remember adding the number, but thinking I have never had trick or treaters in the eight years we have lived in this gated community how on earth did they get in IT FREAKED ME OUT! I went to get some candy good thing I had some since Marnie said she and the kids were coming and when I turned to get the Snickers and coming back from the family room you ALL were coming in to my house that REALLY FREACKED ME OUT...I tactfully tried to call dad for HELP by saying COME & SEE OUR TRICK OR TREATERS NOW!! Dad responded quickly from the computer room and then you all laughed and I knew then what was happening. Yes, your mother's intuition kicked in a few times when Ryan asked on his blog if we ever get trick or treaters and Staci did not call that day and I did not call her cause I knew if she was on the road to here she would just lie (the perfect angel that she is)!!! So I dismissed ALL feelings and denied to myself that only Marnie and Family were coming, but little did I know it was going to be my family of five adult children and not the in laws or grandchildren. Yes, your mother was in total shock & I think that is why I looked pale & tired in the pictures that were taken for the Birthday celebration of sixty years for your old mother was emotionally surprised. I remember saying when I saw the book you made YOU ALL DON'T REALIZE HOW HARD IT WAS FOR ME TO PART WITH ALL YOUR BABY BOOKS AND THEN TO HAVE SOME OF THOSE PICTURES & MEMORIES COME BACK TO ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY I WAS OVERWHELMED & THAT IS WHEN THE TEARS BEGAN TO FLOW AND THE TEARS ARE IN MY EYES NOW JUST WRITING ABOUT IT!! We had the BEST TIME EVER and I LOVE ALL OF YOU FOR THAT! I AM SO BLESSED TO HAVE THE FAMILY THAT I HAVE! I HAVE IT ALL!!