Sunday, November 9, 2008

Marnie's First 5K

So this posting is for my good friend, Lisa. She's the one that got me running. She's such an inspiration. Her first run was the half marathon in 2007 that I walked with my other good friend, Sheli & she ran it. She is still running. You go girl. I've been telling Lisa for months that I would post these & I've finally done it. So this first picture is the funniest one, where it looks like I'm gonna hurl. I was explaining to Lisa earlier that as my sister, Jennifer & I crossed the finished line I thought I was doing fine until she said "so how do you keep from throwing up?" This was my expression. And my sister-in-law captured it on camera to my surprise. I am happy to say that I didn't get sick even though the picture tells otherwise.

Hopefully my sister never says that again at the end of a race. Also, I learned not to sprint the last quarter mile at the end. Who's idea was that JJ? I think she started it & I couldn't let her win, of course. It's pretty funny to remember this experience months later.
So here's "MY FAMILY" that I'm still so proud of. We set a goal. We accomplished it. I can't wait to do it again & also again as a family. I understand that there's a 5K coming up the week of Thanksgiving here in Wenatchee. I haven't exercised much since this 5K in August. I've been a real slacker. I have committed to my good friend, Lisa, that I will run the 1/2 marathon next year in October 2009 in Leavenworth. So I've got to do lots of runs prior to, in order to work up to it. I do need to also acknowledge my brother, Ryan, who has continued to keep running since this occasion & also continues to inspire us all. To all those exercising, keeping healthy & possibly running, keep it up! We all inspire each other. "WE ARE FAMILY". That was our families song. I think of it often.

2 comments:

Staci Rocha said...

That was a great experience to run the 5k as a FAMILY! Good for you for committing to run a 1/2 marathon. I loved every moment of training for the one I did and I can't wait to do another one, hopefully, next November! And that is awesome you are going to do a 5k for Thanksgiving :) You can do it!

Alysa said...

Are you ready for the 5k this week? Sounds like fun. Wish you guys could be here for Thanksgiving. We'll miss you.