Monday, September 6, 2010

YW Camp Ensign Ranch June 21-25th

Can't find the most impressive pic of all for Whit & Girls Camp. That would be her & 21 other YW stuffed inside a biffy. Gross! All us adult leaders knew what they were doing. We sat
around the fire trying to ignore them as if we acknowledged their activity they would
have gotten in trouble. ha ha. They thought it was cool especially when they broke the record.
Too bad they didn't do it on the first day when the biffy was the cleanest. Our camp is so fun. I told the Stake I would go because it was Whit's last year. So glad I went. Had a blast. Whit thinks I'm crazy & hopefully not too embarrassing. Mom's do that you know esp at girls camp.
Our camp is one of the best because of all the great theme songs they create. Then these
terrific YCL's come up with actions for it. The theme this year: Follow the yellow brick road.
Of course at the end of our yellow brick road is the temple. Here they are singing the
song & this is their action for the temple. Whit is on the back row right in the center. This group of girls the YCL (youth camp leaders) were the best. So fun. Such great
leaders to the younger girls. I was over the First Year Certification. I've forgotten how
little they are at 12 yrs old. So innocent. So nervous. So cute. Was I really 12 too once upon
a time? And it seems not that long ago.

The YCL's performing their skit. Whit is in the green tutu. The fairy of YW value knowledge.
Great skit. They love to act & perform on stage. Our stage was very different this year. We had the tee pee's to sleep in. This camp was set back in the woods. Very different than the long houses we've used almost every year except for the one year in A frames.
Then it was time for the Stake leader's skit. We tried to rap our message. I'm on the far left in
the red sweatshirt. Whit was laughing so hard at us crazy leaders rapping that she had a hard
time taking a pic. This was actually a little embarrasing but we got our message across &
had fun making fun of ourselves.
On our last evening together the YCL's did a wonderful job with their program. They dressed
up to look like the girlfriends of the Stripling Warriors. They presented a beautiful message & sang beautiful songs from the 2010 theme "Strong & Courageous". These YW shared personal experiences of how they stand strong amidst the temptations at school & around friends. A few were asked to share their testimonies.
Whitney was asked to share hers & all I can say is that she definitely has one. You had to be there. I was so proud of her! She is such a wonderful example to the other YW. The other YW just love her friendly, outgoing, fun loving personality. She has really learned a lot from Seminary & as she reads the scriptures (which she's faithful about every single day) & prays her testimony continues to grow. So proud of you, Whitney! You are a very strong & courageous Young Woman.

4 comments:

Alysa said...

I love and miss girls camp, It really is a great experience that strengthens testimonies. Can't say I ever did the biffy thing, gross is right. When Jeremy and I run our 6 mile trail there's a woodsy part and the smell always reminds me of camping at Ensign Ranch those many years.

Staci Rocha said...

I Love love all the pictures you posted! I just love seeing how you all are doing! I don't hardly ever talk with you so it's nice to see what has been happening!!!!!

O'Whitney you have grown up so fast and you are a BEAUTIFUL young woman. It's fun reading about your spunky personality and your great friends. I am so happy for you and all that your are accomplishing!

Thanks for sharing!

Love ya

MaKey and Poppa said...

I am laughing sooooo hard!!! I have got tears in my eyes thinking of the GREAT Experiences Girl's Camp has for all the YW & the YW leaders! So proud of Whitney & Marnie for being at girl's camp & such great leaders!!!!! Loved the blog! Post more of what you are doing in the Herrick Family!!!!

Jennifer said...

It was so fun to see you blog!!! I love girls camp too. Memories, memories!! I hope to be in YW again maybe when JoLee is 12. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!